I have been a bad blogger this month. I have had so much on my plate that I took a little family time. I am now ready to get back on track and planning a fun prize pack for everyone next month!!
My youngest daughter has been ill lately and having problems with her ears on top of everything. We finally got a chance to see a specialist who was amazed at her. He did a hearing test and declared her legally deaf. I was in tears watching the test and seeing her NOT respond to the sounds. When we met with the doctor after the test he showed us some pictures. Although I can't remember officially what he labeled her with, I do remember the pictures he showed us. There were 4 pictures showing different levels of what she has. She was a level 4!!
He told us that she must have taught herself to read lips and learn through basic tone what certain words were. She hasn't been shy all these years but hanging back because she couldn't hear. The speech problems she was having are now because she couldn't hear. Poor baby.... all these years and nobody picked up on it. We were just repeatedly given antibiotics because "her ears were red and had some fluid buildup.... looks like she's going to get an ear infection. Take these pills."
The doctor said that she had so much fluid buildup that she must have been in constant pain for years. When he asked her she teared up and said that yes she was always sore and in pain but she learned from her Poppa to "Take the Pain." (Her Poppa had lung cancer and was always going on about taking the pain. She said that if Poppa was brave enough then she was too.)
Needless to say.... she ended up having surgery on both her ears. What a trooper she is. She was stronger and braver than I was. Here is a picture of her when she just woke up from surgery. All smiles.... as always!
She is starting to hear things she never, really noticed before. The sound of the wind chimes, the beep on the phone when you press the numbers and the sounds of the birds outside. People have even noticed that her speech has improved. The miracle of modern medicine.
Note: Have your children's hearing checked regularly.
I remember in school we would have our hearing checked every couple years when in Elementary School. I wish they still did it. Paige wouldn't have suffered years of being deaf and in constant pain and discomfort if they still did testing in school.
Thanks for all the well wishes I received on Facebook. I have more photos there. Add me as a friend if you'd like to see my sweet, brave girl.
Starting March 18th thru April 15th, 2010 we will be holding a WeScrap's Next Designer Contest! We are looking at bringing on 3 new design team members to join our team! You must be able to participate in our 4-week contest if you submit an application. Challenges and other details will be posted on March 18th.
Applications are due March 17th.
*International applicants are welcome!
SIGN UPS: weScrap Next Designer Contest Thread
(1) Send a Scrapbook/artist resume & biography, as well as your full name, weScrap forum username, email address & full contact information with your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with"weScrap DT Call" in the subject line.
(2) Please include a link to your blog. Having an active blog is a mandatory part of this position.
(3) Please tell us of any scrapbook design teams you are currently on. You are required to only be on no more than 2 other manufacturer/kit teams and 2 other challenge/sketch teams while you hold your weScrap iTeam position.
(4) Please include the answers to the following questions: -Why do you think you would make a great iTeam member? What is your best attribute or skill? -What is the attribute or skill that is a challenge to you? -Do you feel that you can give inspiration, encouragement & techniques in the forum on a daily basis? How might you achieve this? *Share any other information you feel is important for us to know about you.
If chosen as a weScrap iTeam member you will be responsible for the following:
1. You will be required to create Layouts, Cards, Altered items, Mini Albums anything that showcases the bi-monthly kits provided to you.
2. All DT members are required to be a registered member of our forum and post as much as possible each day. Starting threads and answering thread are a must as well as leaving praise in the gallery for our members and your fellow DT.
3. iTeam members are responsible for helping create & hosting forum challenges for our crops and providing new tips/techniques. You will be responsible for a few daily posts per month, newsletter assignments and creating work to be loading into our growing resource area.
4. Promote the weScrap site on your blog by posting any weScrap contests, news, announcements, projects, kit sneak peaks, kit reveals, etc. is mandatory.
5. DT members are to promote weScrap.com where ever and whenever allowed without breaking rules on other sites. An iTeam blinkie will be provided and required in your signatures on our forum and again anywhere without breaking rules on other sites. Updating and showcasing items on your blog.
6. Communication with your fellow iTeam members, Co-Presidents and Vice-President is essential to a great team & fantastic site. You will have access to the secure iTeam private forum.
7. This is a 6 month commitment; DT duties will start up on May 1, 2010. You will have immediate access to the DT forum as soon as you are notified of your new position so that you can get to know the other members and learn all about your responsibilities.
8. iTeam members will receive a discount in the weScrap store during their contracted time and free shipping if shipped with your bi-monthly kit items.
9. You will receive one free kit every other month to create with. Kits are packed with great products and fun things to create with.
****PLEASE NOTE**** This contest is also open to all members of the weScrap forum who would like to play along and NOT try out for the iTeam. There will be prizes available along the way. I really hope to have alot of the blog fans either try out for the iTeam or just join us for the challenges, games and prizes that will be up for grabs.
**Blog Challenge #1: Sign up for either the contest or try out for the iTeam for a chance to earn 5 ballots for my monthly blog draw!! Please leave a comment below after you have signed up to play.
As part of the WeScrap Inspiration Team, we have all decided that with all the months of snow and ice that we'd "Bring on Spring!" a little early this year! Hop along with the entire WeScrap iTeam to see what each of the iTeam has created!
Now I'd like to share my Spring inspired project with you!!
I used the cool new weScrap kit that is now available to buy: Late Nights
I took apart the Basic Grey Chipboard Album and made some fun magnets for my fridge!
Gather up your supplies:
ribbon, buttons, pins
magnets (purchased at the dollar store)
1. Trace your shape onto your patterned paper and cut out. Adhere to the chipboard using liquid adhesive. (I used Zip Dry). You must use a good liquid adhesive because you are going to hang them on your fridge and gravity will come to be your enemy. Ink the edges if desired.
2. Add some coordinating paper to your project and your photo. Adhere where desired.
3. Time to embellish it with some ribbons, buttons, pins, flowere.... whatever you would like to use.
4. I used the white ribbon that is included in this kit and sprayed it with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Tattered Leather. Once it was dry I stamped some words on to it and attached it to Paige's layout.
5. I used alcohol inks on the acrylic letters and attached them to the magnets. **As seen on the CCAS Blog.
6. Not use your strong liquid adhesive and attach your magnet to the back of the chipboard.
VOILA!! Now you have a pretty creation to adorn your fridge. :)
Not only do we have some fabulous projects to share today but you also have a chance to win a PRIZE! By leaving a comment on EACH iTeam member's blog today, you have a chance to win $100 worth of scrappy goodies! Yup... that's $100 of scrappy goodness for your stash! You have until Wednesday March 10th to leave your comments for a chance. Good luck!
**RAK ALERT: everyone who comments today will earn a ballot for my monthly blog draw. I have a wonderful collection of new CHA goodies to giveaway. Did someone say Crate??? Yep, $50.00 worth of CHA Goodies! If you want more chances to win just play along and complete any challenges or games I post for the month of March!! Follow my blog for even more chances!**
Now.... find out what **Jacquelin** has created to inspire you today!
I had so much fun this past month sharing challenges with everyone. I had lots of amazing layouts to look at. Make sure to check out the slideshow of this past month's creations!
I kept trying to catch my girls to pull the ballots this month but I had to settle for my hubby instead this time. He was a little camera shy because I grabbed him when he walked in the door after riding his horse.
The lucky winner of the $50.00 Gift Card to spend at your favorite online scrappy store is:
Please email me at email@example.com and let me know where you want to spend your money!! Congrats Shirley!
Another challenge month will begin......
Don't forget to check out the "Bring on Spring! Blog Hop: